Monday, September 22, 2014

The “C” Word – Day 44 Gratitude Song

One of my “childhood” hymns has been floating around in my head the last day or so.  This morning I took the time to listen to it again, write down the words – and then put words to those things I am grateful for.  Here is a list of what I have figured out so far (this one expands on the one I wrote about last week in my list of thank you’s):
A team of experts (doctors and oncologists) that we have confidence in going forward
A supportive palliative care team to answer any questions and give us good tips
Wonderful friends who have called us, visited us, sent words of encouragement
Loving family who have stepped up and been here for us when we need them
Caring caregivers for mom to step in so that we can step back and deal with this
Supportive co-workers who have made allowances for us at work to take care of appointments
Gracious neighbors who have stopped by to chat with us
A comfortable home that we can take pride in
A lovely yard with flowers in bloom where we can go to just sit and enjoy the fresh air
A warm bed with a loving partner by my side to bring comfort to
Faith and Hope in my heart that all will be well
Sufficient income to handle the daily expenses as well as some of the “surprises” of late
The kidney stone on Aug. 9 which found this “C” word before it was too late to do anything about it.
I am sure there are more I may have forgotten about – and there will be more to come. Right now, in this moment, we have much to be grateful for. 
Here is the song that is swimming in my head….
A Grateful Heart a Garden Is

A grateful heart a garden is,
Where there is always room
For every lovely, God-like grace
To come to perfect bloom.

A grateful heart a fortress is,
A staunch and rugged tower,
Where God’s omnipotence, revealed,
Girds man with mighty power.

A grateful heart a temple is,
A shrine so pure and white,
Where angels of His presence keep
Calm watch by day or night.

Grant then, dear Father-Mother, God,
Whatever else befall,
This largess of a grateful heart
That loves and blesses all.

Words by Ethel Wasgatt Dennis, Christian Science Hymnal, No. 3 © CSBD


No comments:

Post a Comment