Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The “C” Word – Day 45 Milestones

Gosh, I sure slept hard last night. I awoke a couple of times but did go back to sleep.  In the early morning chilly hours I recall snuggling into George and waking at just after 7AM… which, for those who know my sleeping habits recognize that this is “sleeping in” for me.  I realized that I had only about 40 minutes to get up and dressed, figure out what to have for breakfast, put something together for lunch and head out to work. Normally I prefer to have a little more time and be more leisurely in my preparations but not so this morning. 
I felt rather strange this morning and cannot quite figure out the cause (if there even is one), but was sort of lethargic at the start of the day.
If memory serves me right, it was about a year ago that George’s mom was having some major health issues and landed in the hospital for about ten days (déjà vu! That’s about the same amount of time George will be in the hospital this year.)  At that time she was diagnosed with C-Dif bacterial infection which is not a nice infection to have.  It has taken a long time to recover from that.  Even now, a year later, she is still on an antibiotic regiment! 
One week from this moment (6:30PM), George’s surgery should be done or very close to it.  That is a milestone.  Starting today we can now start saying “one week from today the worst part will be over”, or “will be moving into the regular ward at the hospital, etc. 
It is rather surreal to take into account all that has happened in just 45 days… sometimes it seems like forever ago and other times it seems like it was just yesterday.  We are ready for this part of the journey to be over.  Because no matter how much time it has been, we want to be “on the other side” of the journey and into the recovery phase. 
George managed to keep busy today.  He reconnected with a high school acquaintance, spent some time with Keith, and also installed a new shower door in the downstairs bathroom.  I would say that was a productive day!!
I kept very busy at work as I try to pull things together before taking a week off.  Some of the things that I do at the end of the month or the first part of the month I am trying to get out of the way and ready for someone else to take care of.  I have a list that I strike things off as done and then remember something new that needs to be added.  Fortunately, there is many things can wait until I return to handle.  I will just have one very busy week in between surgery week and coming home week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment