Friday, August 15, 2014

The C Word – Day 6 Thank you for the prayers

I know there are so many of your praying for us out there.  And you have requested prayers of others, of perfect strangers to make that circle even bigger.  I want to thank you for those prayers.  It is those prayers that will lift us up and give us strength when we have none of our own to offer.  We will need you to hold us high.  We know that God answers prayers – and we also know that he doesn’t always answer in the way we might expect him to. 
As I lay in bed this morning suspended somewhere between sleep and awake I started hearing songs and thoughts.  One of my college roommates, upon hearing our news, sent me a poem that I had long forgotten but is something I used to hold tight to.
I am the place that God shines through
He and I are one not two
He wants me where and as I am
If I'll not fret, nor will, nor plan
If I'll just be relaxed and free
He'll carry out his plan through me.
Thank you, Sherri.  I needed that.  I need to remember to let God shine through me and through George.
Then my thoughts moved on to a song we heard sung by Ricky Skaggs (back in the day when he sang the country genre):
Somebody’s Prayin’
(John G. Elliott)

Somebody's prayin, I can feel it
Somebody's prayin' for me
Mighty hands are guiding me
To protect me from what I can't see
Lord, I believe, Lord, I believe
Somebody's prayin' for me.

Angels are watchin', I can feel it
Angels are watchin' over me
There's many miles ahead 'til I get home
Still I'm safely kept before your throne
'Cause Lord, I believe, Lord, I believe
Your angels are watchin' over me.

Well, I've walked through barren wilderness
Where my pillow was a stone
And I've been through the darkest caverns
Where no light had ever shown.
Still I went on 'cause there was someone
Who was down on their knees
And Lord, I thank you for those people
Prayin' all this time for me.

Somebody's prayin', I can feel it
Somebody's prayin' for me
Mighty hands are guiding me
To protect me from what I can't see
Lord, I believe, Lord, I believe
Somebody's prayin' for me.

Somebody's prayin' for me...
Thank you, Lord, for sending me so many mighty prayer warriors and for having some super angels who are watching down on us.  I shed tears of humbleness that you all care for us so much.  I shed tears of thankfulness that I know you will be part of our yoke as we walk these trenches.  I can FEEL you, that’s how strong you are all praying.  I kneel before you in gratitude.  I know your prayers will reach our daughters as well.  They are infants when it comes to knowing your faith and I pray that they learn well from this.
On a lighter note, after singing in my mind that song I went back to a time when Becke was perhaps 4 years old.  She was such a country fan just like her dad.  We could not afford too many extravagances but when Ricky Skaggs came to the Circle Theatre in San Mateo, her Aunt Randi and I took her to see the show.  Oh my gosh, she was so excited.  She loved his songs so much.  We had seats near an aisle and we asked an usher if it would be possible for her to go to the stage and give him a flower we’d bought.  He did not know if it would work but kept it in mind.  Becke waited rather impatiently for the opening act to get done.  She couldn’t be bothered with them.  Finally he came to the stage.  At one point the usher came and got Becke and brought her to the stage.  Ricky lifted her up, gave her a hug and accepted her flower.  When she got back to our seats she was so happy.  Randi and I hugged her and we could smell Ricky’s cologne on her.  The two of us looked at each other and said, “Never gonna wash this child again!!”  Soon after that Becke fell asleep (it was way past her bed time by now) but she had done what she came for and then her little body ran out of adrenaline!  Such a precious moment to share with her.
Today I meet my new doctor.  This appointment was in the books for a few weeks and could not come at a better time.  I know it important to maintain my own health in order to be the best that I can be.  That is especially important right now.  Perhaps we can run an errand or two and spend some time in the fresh air.  Friends are due to stop in today and that will be good for George. 

Day 6 and counting… counting on you who are following this blog to lift us up in steady streams of prayers.  Thank you, a thousand times, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment