Monday, August 1, 2016

The C Word – A New Battle Day 12 - New Target Date

It’s been a relatively quiet day here at the hospital.  This morning when George woke up we went to use the bathroom and got cleaned up a little bit.  Decided to save his walk for when PT paid a visit.  He was sleeping again by then and really didn’t want to but we suggested he try to get it done and he did.  Did the “short block” again and then went back to bed.  Although PT came back in the afternoon, he declined – but he and I did a short block a bit later.
He slept most of the day – and I decided to take advantage of YouTube and looked up some Christian comedians.  A few night ago I used my Amazon account to watch Kinky Boots which was fun – but took me 4 hours to get through it because of interruptions.  So this was easier because they were shorter bits of monologues.  I happened on a few that were quite funny – and I could listen to them and knit at the same time.  I chuckled quite a bit.  Felt good.  Nice diversion!!
Dr. Bastidas did not make an appearance until about 3:30 and started outlining the plan.  He asked how eating food was going and, although George has had only a scant bit today which consisted of 1/8 cup of chocolate milk for breakfast and another small portion for lunch), he was doing okay with those.  Dr. B is changing his order to “full diet” so George can have a wider array of things that might be more appealing to him, even if it’s just a piece of toast.  The feeding tube has been reconnected but is going to be administered slowly to be sure he can tolerate it.  He can get some Tums for acid indigestions (even though he is getting protonix injections to help with that).  He wants him to be up and moving around more, including going to the bathroom to pee.  (Hmm, for some strange reason George did not hear that part of it?!?!?) 
Our new targeted discharge date will be this Friday, August 5th.  Since that is Stephs’ birthday I am sure that would make her happy to know her dad is home!  Ironically, it will be DAY 16 - - which is how long we stayed at Good Samaritan hospital after the first surgery in 2014.  I never would have guessed it to be this long again!
As soon as Dr. B left I went home to take a shower!  This time, however, I did not have anyone sit with George.  I need him to be comfortable getting help from the staff as tomorrow night I plan on leaving for the night so I can spend time with the twins.  I am also considering going home late in the evening to sleep for the rest of the week figuring it is my last chance to really get some uninterrupted sleep before George comes home and I need to be rested for my time will then be consumed with doing all of the caretaking. 
I know that George is a bit leery of having to be here alone and having to call for help when he needs to get up, but I know he also understands that I do need some rest and I do not sleep all day long as he is doing.  I am beginning to feel the effect of being here for two weeks straight.   
Now I need to figure out what is going to happen going forward and figure out how to balance my life caring for George, taking care of myself and working.  I will have to make some not-so-easy choices, at least for the short term.  I am having the case manager here at the hospital check into some options for me as far as respite care.  Will know within a day or two what my options are. 
Overall, a positive day.  I got some things done for pleasure as well as for work and got a few good chuckles in.  George, though tired, is feeling somewhat better.  Praying that we stay on this upward trend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment