Thursday, August 11, 2016

The C Word – A New Battle Day 22 - MD follow up #1

I must say, when I do sleep at night lately, I sleep very well and very hard.  Getting up in the middle of the night to handle things has been like sleep-walking… just shuffling around to get things done.  My phone alarm shocks me awake!!  Because of the nurses schedule I had been unable to try to sync even one night of having all meds happen at once so I didn’t have to get up multiple times - - and was just about to do that tonight when….
We went to see Dr. Majumder.  He said there was no need to keep that kind of schedule (exact or close to exact intervals).  He said that for the 3 times a day antibiotic use a 7AM-3PM-11PM time schedule.  And, for the Vancomycin to work 4 times a day in during waking hours and get the last one done at 11PM as well.  Once the IV is done (about 45 minutes) you will be done for the night and can sleep until 6-7AM and start all over again.  In other words, it does not have to be precisely at 8 or 6 hour intervals.  Yippee!!  I can sleep tonight (unless George needs to get up to use the bathroom and then I have to unhook the feeding tube).  However, I do not have to fully wake up to do that task. 
After a little discussion and finding that white blood cell count is still good but C-reactive has risen a little bit, plus the fact that output on the drain is still significant, he asked George what he wanted to do.  We could stop the IV meds and wait and see.  If the infection had not gone away it would show up in a week or two and we’d have to start up again.  If it had gone away, then no worries.  George opted for the “be safe rather than sorry” and said let’s keep up the antibiotics because he doesn’t want to land back in the hospital for an infection and have to redo PICC lines,etc.
So… more meds are being ordered up and IV will continue for another full week with the Vancomycin going one week beyond that.  While it is pretty inconvenient to have tubes and lines everywhere, it looks as though they are here to stay for the majority of this month. 
George is actually feeling better.  He is eating a little more and moving about easier.  Probably should do an actual “walk” (and not just to the bathroom and back).  Maybe I can convince him to do a nightly walk so he can gradually increase his stamina and strength.  It will help him in more ways than one!  Although his appetite is definitely better, it is still not close to where it should be for nutritional purposes. 
We also contacted Dr. Bastidas to find out if he wanted to see George sooner than 8/23. Explained that the drain is still putting out a lot of fluid (actually has increased over the past 3 days).  My guess is he will wait but am awaiting a reply from him. 
Sara and the kids stopped by for a visit this morning, and one of George’s co-workers this evening.  Company breaks up the day a little bit.  It is good for both of us. 
Because I am pretty tired, I have not been able to focus on much these past few days.  With the change in medication schedule I hope that I can be more organized as the days continue.  Tomorrow I have a repairman scheduled to come look at our leaky refrigerator.  Not sure what the issue is but the problem is still persistent and may be getting worse.  I syphoned off 12 ounces of water from the bottom floor of the fridge the other day – and when I checked the lower drawer this afternoon it already has water accumulating at the back side of it so am certain there is more below that.  Ugh!!  Hopefully it is an easy fix – will find out tomorrow. 

At least for now we have another short term plan, one that should be manageable and make our lives somewhat easier for the duration of all the procedures that occur throughout the day.  I am hoping that I can actually get in to work for a few hours a few days a week and look forward to being out and about for little bits of time.  Looking forward to a little bit of “my normal” back after a very long month!

No comments:

Post a Comment