Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The C Word – A New Battle Day 13 - If it’s a tough day – it must be Tuesday

Wow, just a wave of emotions today.  Feeling like the low point of the roller coaster today.  Emotions are so surface level today. 
Had some rough patches overnight.  There is a pain medicine, hycet (acetaminophen w/hydrocodone) that George has been receiving via his feeding tube several times a day.  The night shift last night told him he would be taking it orally.  (It’s liquid).  He did – and promptly vomited it up.  Horrible, horrible.  This morning she gave him a different form of it orally and he did okay.
When Dr. B came in this morning we told him about it and he said that it is NOT to be done orally.  The orders even say to do it by feeding tube.  He let the charge nurse know who let the nursing supervisor know.
Last night the feeding tube was reinstated as well as a full diet (he can eat anything he wants).  Trouble is, he is not hungry at all.  He ate two bites of toast this morning for breakfast and mid-afternoon ate a few bites of mac and cheese.  He is still battling nausea for some reason.
When we talked to Dr. B I inquired about George’s labs and the fact that his WBC is still on the rise as well as platelets.  His RBC is low and has not risen at all in the past week.  Belief is that he has an infection going on but is unknown what it is.  Another CT scan will be done tomorrow.  His BP and temp have been fine… AND he has been on IV antibiotics twice a day since surgery.  Kind of frustrating.
At about 10AM this morning Georges’ bowels started acting up again.  Just before 3 I texted Dr. B and told him that George had been to the bathroom 5 times in 6 hours…. A few minutes later I said, “Make that six”.  Poor guy.  Dr. B said he cannot up the anti-diahrrea meds until a cdif/colitis test is done.  I said, “The last time we went through this it took 2 days and 80 trips to the bathroom before the tests came back.  It was really tough on George.”  I heard a few hours ago that he is somehow expediting some testing and will know by late tonight what the results are and, if negative, will put him right on more meds to control it. If positive, then the antibiotic will need to be changed.  Praying for the first result, not the second.
On top of all of this, George’s anxiety was rising because he knew I was planning on spending the night at home.  I’m sure that didn’t help the bowel issues.  I explained that if he is coming home by the weekend or over the weekend that I needed some serious uninterrupted sleep in order to be ready to take over his care 24/7.  Just before I left I told him to request his Ativan to help calm him down some.
As I drove away I was crying – it was just like a mother leaving her child at daycare for the very first time.  My heart was breaking that I needed to leave him there so I could take care of myself. 
A friend stopped by today and we had a chance to chat.  I haven’t seen her too often but she is one of my “angels on earth”.  We were talking about what was going on with George and what options there were.  As hard as I try, I am having a hard time holding out hope that there is any treatment available for George.  That I can’t see him going through any more surgeries to remove even partial tumors, etc.  These surgeries have been so very difficult for him.  I teared up while talking to her – something I haven’t done in front of too many people since this all started two weeks ago.
I think this is all proof that I needed time away from the hospital, taking advantage that George has some care there.  I have developed some relationships with some of the nurses and CNA’s so feel that they will really respond to help him tonight and the next few nights.
This evening I have the twins with me.  It is National Night Out so Sara, Mandy, Chloe and Jacob and the 3 of us went to our park for a barbecue.  The kids got to meet some of the police and fire men as well as play at the park.  Then home for a bubble bath for the girls and now they are enjoying some quiet time watching Disney TV.  I haven’t seen them sit so quietly in a long time.  They will be asking to go to bed pretty soon! (Thank you Auntie Sara for wearing them out!)  I needed some special cuddle time tonight with “my babies” – so precious they are to me.  Becke will pick them up in the morning after their special night away. 
Tonight for the first time in nearly two weeks I will get to sleep with interruptions from George or nurses or any of that.  I look forward to sleeping in my own bed, albeit alone.  I have a feeling it will be a while before George sleeps upstairs. 
Although our target date for him to come home is Friday, I am not yet convinced that will happen as we need to figure out what type of infection he has.  Another CT scan is scheduled for tomorrow to see if they find anything.  The drain he had put into his abdomen on Thursday has been not doing much so whatever leak there was appears to be gone.  Although George managed to get himself up and about for 2 walks today, he is so drained and so tired.  He is frustrated with his progress – and even though he is making progress it is very slow for him.  This surgery has been more difficult for him in some ways than the first one.
I am hoping that a good nights’ sleep helps me put things into perspective.  I hate feeling hopeless about this situation.  I know that we don’t have all the answers yet and I shouldn’t have foregone conclusions.  But I do. I find myself praying that George heals well enough in order to enjoy whatever time he has left with us.  I absolutely hate to sound all doomsday.  Hate, hate, hate it!  I wish I could turn back the clock a few years and get a do-over.  This new reality sucks.  George is just now starting to absorb all of this and he is scared as well. 
So, here we are – another sucky Tuesday.  Another tough day for us even though there were some positive things that took place today. I want to close my eyes and wish to wake up to find out this is all a bad dream.  God, I pray for miracles today.  Give me a miracle!


No comments:

Post a Comment