Thursday, July 21, 2016

The C Word – A New Battle Day

First, we are so thankful for all the prayers.  I think it not only helped us get through the day, but get through it with grace and peace. 
This morning I had a 6:30 appointment to meet the surgeon to tell George the news.  George was way too groggy last night to comprehend anything that would have been told to him. 
When I arrived at 5:30AM the nurse told me that he just cat-napped most of the night.  He was sort of awake when I arrived.  When Dr. Bastidas arrived he filled him in on what had taken place yesterday.
I have a correction to make from my notes yesterday.  The cancer was all over the small bowel.  He did not say today that it affected any other organs and said that the upper abdominal area looked okay.  The portion of small bowel that they left in had cancer tumors on it but they could not remove or scrape it.  Instead of leaving George with no small bowel which would be very bad, they left him with some but it has growth on it. 
George took the news fairly well, a little teary eyed.  But, as soon as Dr. B left, George said, “I just want to sleep now.”  And off to la la land he went.  A few hours later he made a comment or two but still not saying much about what was told to him.  It wasn’t until later in the day that he started asking questions about what the situation was.  I told him.  And a little later he asked me to tell him again.  (His memory retention is affected by the anesthesia.) 
Over the course of the day, especially the early part of the day, there was not a lot of talking going on.  The PT came in at 11:00 to get him to start moving his legs and then got him out of bed and standing.  That did not last long because the room was “spinning”.  He got up a second time just before 3PM because the nurse wanted to try to have him go pee as he had not done so since his cathether was removed very early this morning.  And, this evening, they not only helped him out of bed for a bathroom break but also had him sit in a chair for a short bit.  Very good progress! 
Food wise he did not eat (rather, drink) much but he did at least try.  He will be on liquids and very soft things for a bit as they intestinal track heals.  He is getting food via his feeding tube as well as minerals, etc that he was low on. 
Today Stephanie drove down for a visit.  It did her good to see her dad.  At first she was very cautious, but as time went on I think she sensed that things will settle down and we will figure out what the next step is.  She left around 4PM and I got a text from her about 8PM that she had arrived home…. 4 hours for a normally 1 ½ hour drive!!  Poor thing.
Steve and Robin, friends of ours, popped in for a visit this evening as did my co-worker Judy.  George was in good spirits and making conversation, even smiling some.  Definitely progress over this morning.
He is still in ICU even though transfer orders were done at 7AM.  There are not beds available on the next floor down.  Since he has a bed and a room, he is lower priority than others having surgery. Perhaps Friday will be a slower day and he can be moved tomorrow!!  He rather enjoys ICU because it is quieter for the most part (there have only been 6-8 patients on the floor, there are at least 20 rooms!)  But it will be easier for others to move about and come visit if he is moved, plus I will be able to stay the night.  (As I type this I just got a call from George that he is being transferred to a room tonight!!  So I will be packing up and heading back to the hospital! Hoo-rah!)
I left about 8PM as he was quite tired.  Will turn in soon.
Today I am thankful for all the prayer warriors out there, for all those that are texting and emailing.  I have touched base with the PMP sites we take part in and am getting some ideas about what kinds of questions to ask and hearing what others are doing or have done that had similar situations to George.  I am thankful for the nurses who were so very kind.  I am thankful for Dr. Bastidas and all the support he has given us. 
When George was sleeping today I had chance to listen to my “tunes” and crochet and relax.  I can feel your prayers as a sense of calm has come over me.  I feel relaxed and at peace.  I know that we can tackle whatever needs to be done.  I am sure it will have difficult moments but we will take those as they come.  It is probably easier said than done – but, for now, the only thing we are concentrating on is getting George up and about as well as get some good nutrition in him so he can come home to finish recovering.  Tomorrow will be a new day and we will take that as it comes. 
I need to stop typing so I can pack up and head back to the hospital and “move in”.  Until tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like he is up and about fairly quickly. That's so good!

    ReplyDelete