Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The “C” Word – Day 53 Day 1 – ICU

The long night was longer than expected as I did not get much sleep.  I wandered back to ICU around 1:30AM.  George was heavily sedated but I had been told he would respond to nurses’ queries about pain levels, etc. by a nod of the head.  I was not able to get a response from him by my talking but I did what he had asked me to do before surgery – stroke his forehead.  He would know by that touch that I was with him. 
About 4AM he signaled he loved me by using his left hand and signing the American Sign Language symbol for “I Love You”.  I teared up from this loving, gentle gesture.
Around 6AM they started to un-sedate him to get ready to see if he would breathe on his own.    The first thing he did was signal that he wanted a pen to write with.  The respiratory therapist took a piece of paper towel, put it on a clip board and he proceeded to write, “Won’t CPAP help with this?”  He really wanted his CPAP machine. Due to the fact that he will still have an Ng tube in his nose it won’t be possible to use the machine just yet.  He proceeded to indicate he wanted to write and he managed to effectively communicate a few things. 
His breathing was labored because he struggles without the CPAP, but as the sedative wore off the breathing was at a steady rate.  It was eleven before the tube came out as there were a couple of other more urgent needs for the RT to respond to.
Little by little over the day a few of the tubes have been removed.  As of this moment he was one arm free of any tubes.  He has a respirator on as it is the only thing that will enable a little it of oxygen push.  They have decreased his fluids to a very low point but his heart rate is a little bit high so they will keep an eye on that to see if they need to push more fluids.  For him to make it down to a regular room he will need to become more stable without lots of fluids. 
Sara spent the morning here, Becke arrived and spent the afternoon and evening, Keith stopped by for a short visit.  I even escaped to get dinner with Becke as we had to leave at the 3PM shift change.  It was nice to get warmed up after being in a chilled room for the day. 
Although his body temperature felt very cold most of the day, he has been comfortable (it is 58 degrees in the room and the rest of us are freezing!)  As the day progressed his body temperature increased and he started pulling his gown down from the neck to the point now where it is only covering him from the waist down.  I have accused him of becoming a Chippendale and told him if he tried to uncover much more we would have to give him a towel to cover his privates.  The nurse finally brought in some ice water and washcloths so we could try to get him comfortable with his completely undressing himself.
He has been aware of his surroundings all day long.  He is able to speak a little which is surprising considering the intubation period.  I am not sure he is resting very much as he tries to cough up mucus without much success. 
The charge nurse just came in to ask about the CPAP and will see if they can fit him with one of theirs tonight.  I know George would really appreciate that. 
I have been kept very busy today helping to monitor him as the nurses are often called away from the station outside the door.  I am not sure there will be much rest for me tonight although I may try to escape for at least a few hours and get a little bit of sleep. 
Hopefully tomorrow more progress will be made with no setbacks so we can move at some point in the day to a better room (with a bed for me!)

                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment