Thursday, October 9, 2014

The “C” Word – Day 61 How do you spell Relief?

Today was a repeat of yesterday to some degree.  Starting at 4AM and using the bathroom a record 31 times in 17 hours.  While I was grateful that I did not have to go in to work today, it has been a workout for me as well as George today as every time he goes in, I have to go in and help clean him up.  To say this was exhausting would be putting it mildly.  Especially in the early morning when each time I decided that I might lay my head back down it was time pop up yet again – so I gave up on that idea.  A test for CDIF is being done and we are praying for that to be negative.  Not to be too graphic but needing to be open about this whole process we are going through, there is some solidification occurring these past few times which I believe to be a good thing.
To think that I had plans of things to do while I sat here in the hospital – crochet, read a book, etc.  Not getting any of that done at all because of the constant interruptions throughout the day and into the evening.
We did make a list of questions to ask the doctor when he came in.  We are concerned about the constant diarrhea and the peaks of nausea.  We are concerned about being able to stomach the nutritional supplements so he is not getting enough calories in the day because he is still not eating much.  He has not vomited today so that is a good thing but he is very gassy.  I expect that some of that is from not eating but cannot convince him to eat anything.  Nothing has any flavor to him right now and coupled with the fact he has no appetite is not helping at all.
The doctor was not totally concerned about the bathroom trips.  He wants George to eat and get the nausea under control before he tries anti-diarrheal medication.  Gotta get the input under control before dealing with the output.  His potassium levels were okay this morning.  He just got a PICC line that they can use to do IV pushes of potassium and also blood draws so they can stop poking the same place in the same arm.  That will be helpful. 
The doctor was aware that George’s bottom is quite raw.  I inquired about getting a sitz bath.  (When I told George I was going to inquire about a sitz bath he said, “I don’t think I can get in a bath tub.”  He did not know what it was.)  He has come to appreciate that I thought of this wonderful thing as he is enjoying the benefits of it.  How do you spell relief?  S-I-T-Z! 
George took time for two pacing walks around the room (safer that way because the bathroom is close) and one long walk down the hallway with the physical therapist.  With the exception of a short part of the long walk, all of it was done without the walker.  He also walked to and from the bathroom no less than 27 times in a 15 hour period without using a walker as well.  That’s a lot of walking.
And, though George awoke with some nausea and has received a few shots for it, aside from three dry heaves earlier in the day he has managed to keep everything in. He ate a little bit of scrambled egg and a couple bites of English muffin this morning.  He ate some ice cream at lunch time.  He gagged down ½ of an ensure this afternoon (after a LOT of horrible coaxing from me) and he ate a little tiny bit of chicken for dinner, a few bites of sticky rice, some mandarin oranges and two ice creams for dinner.  While that was not a lot of food, it was way more than yesterday AND it has made it through the upper part of the digestive track. I warned George that his bathroom trips or gas may increase and get worse before it gets better because there is a lot of air in his system.  He may experience pain at first but that is because all of his inside works are trying to figure out how to work together now. 
The doctor told him today that he is making good progress considering the amount of surgery that was done.  Part of the “outtake” issue is due to the fact that he has only 1/3 of his colon left and the colon is responsible for most of the liquid absorption in the intestinal tract.  It has to learn to work a little harder. 
He said that he won’t send George home until he is more stabilized with intake of food, nausea under control and bowels more in control and less frequent.  Underlying and unspoken was an actual return to home prediction. 
When we talked about the lack of nutrition he said he would send in the nutritionist/dietician to talk about ideas.  She wasn’t very helpful in coming to a solution for what types of food might be best for him.  The only suggestion she had since he likes sweet and cold is to go to Jamba Juice and get a smoothie and have them add whey protein to the drink.  I asked her if she knew if there was one close by and she had no idea because she “is not from around here”.  Seriously??  That’s the only thing you can offer and you have no idea where one is located close to the hospital??  That is beyond annoying to me and put me over the edge for today. 
The other changes that were made today was that the doctor finally changed the order of the milky ensure to ensure clear which George WILL drink.  And, with the addition of the PICC line he will get the central line in his neck removed tonight after nearly 10 days.  (They haven’t had anything connected to it since the middle of the night.) 
I feel like I should get reimbursed for doing so much of the care for George.  There are three people overseeing him on each shift (RN, CNA and charge nurse) and we hardly see them.  When they are in the room their phones are constantly ringing for them to care for another patient.  I asked the nurse how many patients are under her and she only mentioned three.  And those three are in different parts of the floor (would it not be easier to give them three consecutive rooms rather than one on each end of the hall and the third clear across the other side of the ward)? Most of the staff are very kind but are stretched beyond belief.  If I were not here George would probably sit on the commode for at least 20 or 30 minutes each time he went (rather than having at least a 20 minute break between trips).  If I were not here the motivation to order meals would be less and his GP bags would not be emptied often enough.  I have changed his bed, replaced his chux, changed his gown, helped him in and out of bed as needed (needs less help now but for a while was quite a bit).  Not sure how much we are charged for this but I think I need a discount here! 
As I helped George get cleaned up (yet again) I noticed his feet are severely swollen [edema].  Since we cannot lay him flat at all in order to properly elevate his feet we are hard pressed to get that to come down on its’ own.
This has been a LONG day of endless trips to the bathroom and so far the end is not in sight.  Considering I started writing today’s blog at about 5PM and it is not 8:30 [make that 9PM] [make that 9:30PM], that is how often I have been interrupted to tend to George in some capacity.
That being said – I will end here because I need to get ready for bed - - and we will see if there is any rest tonight.  [Yesterday he did finally stop for the night time hours – let’s hope he can repeat that part of it.]

P.S.   I would spell relief… S-L-E-E-P!

No comments:

Post a Comment