Sunday, August 31, 2014

The C Word – Day 22 “Get to”

On the way home from Roseville yesterday, there was a lot of time to think.  For me it was thinking about the party going on in Wolcott at the same time we were driving.  It was also thinking about the other two events taking place this weekend that I will be able to Skype or Facetime with and at least see some people face to face – even if it is with just a computer screen. 
A thought came to me then.  It was something I had heard a long time ago and have heard a few times over the years.  It has to do with attitude.  It is a simple way to make you put things into perspective and give things a positive spin.
It goes like this….  Replace your thoughts and statements that being with “HAVE TO” or “SHOULD DO” with the words “GET TO”.  I will try to adjust my attitude using this process.
Instead of “I have to stay home right now”,
  I GET TO stay home, a home that I have earned, that I have spent hours making it comfortable, with a yard that is pleasing to the senses both visual and auditory. 
Instead of “I have to stay here to help George”,
  I GET TO stay here with George.  I get to have time to spend with him, to love him, to help him. 
On days that I may struggle getting out of bed because I am tired, rather than “I have to get up and get ready for [work/workout/appointments]”,
I GET TO go to a job/gym/doctor and am glad that I have these places to go to.  There are many people who cannot do these for various reasons.  I am blessed to have them available to me.
And, while I did not get to go to see my college roomies this weekend, I did GET TO use some wonderful technology and share with them just as if I was in the same room.  We shared some laughs, reflected on old times, caught up on today times, and loved one another just as we did those 30-aught years ago.  Tomorrow I will do the same with my family.

A quote by Charles R. Swindoll: “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”


Mahatma Gandhi says, “
Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.”

The power of positive thinking has proven valuable over and over again.  When one thinks negative there is so much energy (not to mention time) wasted that cannot be gained back. Sometimes it takes a little effort to stay positive, but it sure makes things easier to swallow, especially when going through difficult times. 

Today I GET TO choose how I live my life. My goal is and always will be to remain as positive as I can.  I will not always succeed, but that is my goal.  It has helped me survive those things, those glitches in life that try to bring me down.  Today I GOT TO share with some very, very dear friends.  Thank you Linda, Sherri, Olenka and Daria for making my day so special.  Thank you for being a part of my life, a very special part.  We may not see each other often or even talk to each other often, but I know you will always be there and I look forward to the next time we will actually GET TO be together!

No comments:

Post a Comment