Thursday, August 28, 2014

The C Word – Day 19 Down but hopefully not out

I awoke in the middle of the night having a strange dream.  It involved George’s mom and the details are just weird and not something I can or should put into print.  As I tried to go back to sleep my mind started wandering.  A song came to mind and now, for the life of me I cannot remember what it was.  Then I started thinking about the fact that today was the day I was supposed to start my vacation.  I had planned this trip for a year and a half.  I was the one that actually got the ball rolling on the 40th high school reunion and helped as much as I could from across the country.  I also managed to plan a full out reunion with my college roommates.  I know I was looking forward to that the most.  Even a family reunion.  To not be able to go has been devastating for me. I will never, ever be able to recreate this chain of reunions again.  I would be lucky if I could make even one of them happen again.   
I feel selfish feeling this way.  I mean, George is fighting a battle right now not only physically but mentally.  He had a rough day today – in part due to how I was feeling.  This whole thing affects more than him.  We all hate it.  Hate that we have to deal with it.  Hate that this “C” word has intruded on our lives.  Hate how it is ruling us right now.  It is normal that we are all going to have rough patches – and as hard as I want to be strong, once in a while I am bound to falter.  Today as that day.  Tomorrow I will buck up and face whatever lies ahead. 

Tomorrow we meet a surgeon and pray that he says he can help and he has hope for George.  George needs to hear that.  He needs to hear that someone (besides me) feels that he will be fine…  Though there is no cure, it is treatable and survivable.  He needs to hear those words from a doctor.  If he hears that he will fight harder.  Right now, though, he is terrified and there is not much I can say or do to ease that terror.  It hovers around him, weighs heavily on him.  I pray for positive news tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment