Saturday, September 28, 2019

The C Word – Day 1,870


Today we learned that George’s creatinine spiked to 5.3 from 2.1 a few days ago.  This is “severe failure”.  The result is that George is now off his nightly TPN feedings as the vitamins and nutrients in those will not absorb or filter because of the kidney.
Today George asked to stay in bed.  He grows weaker by the day.  I suspect by later today he will be bedridden – which is safer for him. 
He had several visitors today.  His best friend, Larry.  A former boss and his wife Joe and Jill. Also the hospice doctor and our nurse. 
By the time they all left he was exhausted.  I checked in on him from to time.  Sometimes he was sleeping, sometimes just laying there.
We have converted him to all liquid meds for ease of administering.
This evening as I climbed in next to him, he asked a question, then made a random statement.  These verbal statements continued for the next few hours.  I think I finally dozed off.  He was asleep the whole time he chatted.
 Tonight he went camping – in his head – as he declared that everything was packed into the big boxes.
He also told someone that “That’s my brother John.” – which means he has begun to see those who have come before him.
Right now the biggest issue is his body twitching.  His whole body is repeatedly twitching.  I phoned hospice and asked if there was something I could give him.  She suggested one of the new medications that was delivered tonight.  She said give it 15 minutes before it starts working and if he’s not calmed down within 45 minutes to administer Lorazapem.  I have a feeling it will be the latter as his body is still going full bore and it’s been a half hour.
Going to be a long sleepless night for me. And honestly I believe that George will not last more than a few days.  His body is ready to let his soul loose.


No comments:

Post a Comment