Tuesday, June 12, 2018

The C Word – Chemo Has Begun



Just as I was nearing home this morning as I was riding my bicycle and listening to my “tunes”, two familiar songs came on, back to back.  The timing was so appropriate.  The message to me very clear.  I needed to hear these today.
Today was the start of George’s chemotherapy.  As we approached this day, neither one of us was too concerned about today’s events.  George does have some concerns about side effects but those will be the worst on days three through five. 
We arrived at the Stanford Cancer Center at 8AM as at 8:15 the first of three “appointments” was necessary.  The blood draw.  George has a port, so he was not sure what kinds of things they would do to use that.  That was “lesson number one” for him.  Forty-five minutes later we had an appointment with the doctor to review the labs and go over a few details.  Then back to the waiting room where we would be called back for the infusion.
Our appointment was at 9:30.  By the time we went over paperwork and signing off on procedures, getting anti-nausea meds, etc., it was nearly 10:30.  We didn’t know that there would be three infusions.  The first one is leucovorin.  It is not a chemo drug but is used to enhance the effects of the 5FU chemo drug.  This infusion took about two hours.  After that they did a “bolus” push of the 5FU – this is a single dose in a syringe that they push into the port to get things going.  Once that was done he began the Avastin which, for the first dose, they do slowly over a 90 minute period.  [Over the next two infusions that will be lowered to 6o minutes and then 30 minutes.]  Then, hooked up to the pump and home we went.
During the time he was getting the Avastin, a home education nurse stopped by to show us what the pump looked like and walked us through things that might happen and how to correct them.  It was pretty easy to learn and, of course, we have papers to guide us through those processes as well.
George did well today.  He didn’t nap until after we got home.  He was slightly nauseous but not too bad.  He will wear this pump for exactly 48 hours so has a little carry bag that must accompany him wherever he goes.  That will take getting used to.  For five days he will have a dedicated bathroom in the house and a separate laundry bin as his things need to be washed separately from other things.  Once that five days is up, there are no special requirements. 
I spent most of the time sitting with him and crocheting a new, smaller project.  Listened to an audio book, a little music and, in general, it was as if I was home - - except the chair at home is more comfortable. 
Overall, today is what I would call a “non-event” day.  A lot of sitting around, just a different location than home.  Nurses in and out doing what needed to be done. 
Now I will share what I listened to his morning. 
The first song, “Here as In Heaven” is sung by Elevation Worship.  It states that the atmosphere is change now for the Spirit of The Lord is here… God’s love surrounds us… A miracle can happen now… 
The second song was “Angels Among Us” sung by Alabama.  It states that “I believe there are angels among us, sent down to us from somewhere up above.  They come to you and me in our darkest hour to show us how to live, to teach us how give, to guide us with the light of love.”
Indeed, beginning chemo is a change in atmosphere and we need the Spirit of the Lord to surround us and we need a miracle.  Indeed, there are definitely angels among us, praying for us, ministering to us.  The doctors and nurses are angels as well as they take care of the medical end of things.
These two songs calmed me this morning.  They were the exact words I needed to hear today.  God definitely knew my mind and my heart. 

"Here As In Heaven"

The atmosphere is changing now
For the Spirit of the Lord is here
The evidence is all around
That the Spirit of the Lord is here

Overflow in this place
Fill our hearts with Your love
Your love surrounds us
You're the reason we came
To encounter Your love
Your love surrounds us

Spirit of God fall fresh on us
We need Your presence
Your kingdom come
Your will be done
Here as in heaven

A miracle can happen now
For the Spirit of the Lord is here
The evidence is all around
That the Spirit of the Lord is here
"Angels Among Us"

I was walking home from school, on a cold winter day
Took a shortcut through the woods, and I lost my way
It was getting late, and I was scared and alone
But then a kind old man, took my hand, and led me home
Mama couldn't see him, oh but he was standing there
And I knew in my heart, he was the answer to my prayers

Oh I believe there are, angels among us
Sent down to us, from somewhere up above
They come to you and me, in our darkest hours
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give
To guide us with the light of love

When life held troubled times, and had me down on my knees
There's always been someone, to come along, and comfort me
A kind word from a stranger, to lend a helping hand
A phone call from a friend, just to say, I understand
But ain't it kind of funny, at the dark end of the road
That someone lights the way, with just a single ray of hope

Oh I believe there are, angels among us
Sent down to us, from somewhere up above
They come to you and me, in our darkest hours
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give
To guide us with the light of love

They wear so many faces, show up in the strangest places
To grace us with their mercy, in our time of need

Oh I believe there are, angels among us
Sent down to us, from somewhere up above
They come to you and me, in our darkest hours
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give
To guide us with the light of love
To guide us with a light of love


No comments:

Post a Comment