Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The “C” Word – Day 82 New Meds do the job

The main “complaints” I have had recently were that George was still having signs of edema – mainly in his feet.  He also was having continued problems with his breathing.  The other major complaint was getting enough calories in his system to help him build energy.  I was lucky if he ate 400-500 calories a day.  Most days I would estimate it to be under 400!
I contacted the oncologist via George’s online messaging system and told him about the eating issue.  He recommended an appetite stimulant which we finally got prescribed yesterday. 
For the edema I made George contact his surgeon to discuss the issue and, on the surgeon’s request, called their office to get a medication to help with that.  s
So we have added two medications in the past day and a half… and they appear to be working.  The edema in George’s feet appears to be lessening (not only from the medication but from the “physical therapy” I have him doing).  His breathing is still labored – and he tires just walking from one room to the next.  We see the surgeon on Friday and will get that checked out a little further. 
The medication for the appetite is working as George did spend some time “scrounging” for food.  He snacked on crackers in between meals.  He ate a rather good dinner tonight.  Every little bit helps.
I asked George about how much time he spent out of his chair today and he replied “five minutes”.  I told him he should be doing more than that in a day.  I encouraged him to walk around outside tomorrow as the weather has been very nice (and it is supposed to rain on Friday).  He needs to get on his feet and get his muscles working!!  I know he had a big surgery but it has been a month now (can you believe it) – and feel that five minutes of getting up and moving around is not very much for this point in recovery.  I wonder if the surgeon will agree.

Tomorrow evening we get labs done for the Friday appointment.  It will be interesting to see how different they are from last week’s.  We should see some good improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment