Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The “C” Word – Day 60 Exhaustive day for all

Our day started very early this morning.  The night shift came in for stats at, I don’t know, 4 or 4:30AM.  By the time she left George was starting to wake up.  At 5AM he asked to sit on the side of the bed for a few minutes.  He asked for me to wheel his tray over so he could munch on the rest of his Cheerios and have a cold drink.  He then moved to a chair where he managed to sit for the rest of the day.
He ate a little breakfast and I purchased some more juice and strawberry ensure for him.  We have given up on the kitchen to change the order as we asked two days ago.  By the time I left for work he was doing okay and it looked like the day might go better and he would get up and walk.
Apparently sometime after that he started having to make multiple potty runs.  And that’s how his day went, back and forth to the bathroom.  He was sent for a chest xray to make sure that there is no pneumonia (there is not) and he had a scan to check for blood clots (negative). 
He tried to eat a little lunch – but then he started vomiting this afternoon. Injection for nausea was give.
I spent the day on my feet taking care of clients, calls and whatever else comes up on a typical Wednesday “client day” at work.  Endless movement, nary a chance to breathe.  I ended that part of the day running errands before returning to the hospital – ice (for George) a proper ice chest (for George), gas (for the car) and dinner (for me). I did manage a quick shower at home as well (thank goodness!! It’s been a few days!!)
When I arrived at the hospital at 5PM George was still sitting in the chair but exhausted from the back and forth to the bathroom.  I guess they’d had to do a few clean ups during the day.
They are trying to do some more testing for oxygen levels in the arterial veins (which Rosemary says the doctor said it was a painful procedure).  That has not happened yet so not sure if it is an order or not.  I guess there was a quick mention of cdif (which I pray is not the case – George’s mother was hospitalized for this a year ago this week and she is still on antibiotics for it).  I guess this is a concern because there is no solidification taking place with him yet.
As I type this it is 8:30PM.  I have been up since 4AM – and will end this in hopes that I can get a little bit of rest tonight.  George has been calm for about an hour and a half.  That is a good sign that things may be slowing down. 
I send up a prayer for healing – no more backward steps, dear Lord.  We are wearing out right now and are praying for tender healing so we can go home where we belong. 
To help George calm down and relax I had him close his eyes and do a visual.  “Close your eyes and picture being in a cabin in the woods on a cold, winter day (George loves the cold).  There is a fire burning in the fireplace and a gentle snow starts falling outside.  The snow pics up, a wind starts causing the snow to flurry around.  But you don’t care what is going on outside.  For inside you are warm and safe, sitting by the fire with me.  We are enjoying cuddling on the couch with a cup of warm cocoa.  There is a blizzard outside, but that’s okay.  We are fine, we are enjoying the moment of watching the snow fall, the fire blaze and being safe with one another.”
That’s where we SHOULD be.  And, metaphorically speaking that is what we have right now.  We know that even though there is so much going on around us with this cancer, this pain, these problems we are facing with healing – we have to cling to the fact that no matter what, we are okay, we are safe in the loving arms of a loving God who is reaching down and holding us tightly in his palms, bringing us comfort during this turmoil. 
I ask for peace, for healing, dear Father above.  Restore George’s body from this cancer, restore my spirit with peaceful sleep.  Hold us in your tender loving care.  We are ready to move forward and to more work for You!   There is a bigger plan and a bigger purpose and we look forward to pursuing that. 
With that, I am turning out the lights so we might get some rest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment