Friday, October 17, 2014

The “C” Word – Day 69 The temporary new normal

We both slept very well last night.  The only time I woke up was when George asked for more blanket on his legs.  You see, he loves to sleep with the fan on at night.  And the night air was chilly (for us) in perhaps the high 40’s or low 50’s – and when you add a blowing fan it makes it even chillier!  Even I added an extra layer during the night.  I am not known for “sleeping in” so when he awoke at 6:30AM and I saw what time it was I was surprised.  I had fallen asleep around 9PM so getting 9+ hours of sleep is extremely unusual for me.  But I am making up for a few weeks of very little sleep.
I had purchased and abdominal binder for him to wear.  It was a size large which said it worked for 42”-52”.  NO WAY!  He is right around the middle of the range for that size wrap – but when we held it up around him it would have had to stretch at least 6-8 inches just to get the two sides to touch never mind have the Velcro touch.  False advertising! 
Today George took his first shower.  We removed the two bandages that are no longer needed and changed out the two on his abdomen that are oozing some right now.  Because he was quite fatigued from taking the shower I served him breakfast – but after that he has been getting up to refresh his drinks and made his lunch.  Although he hasn’t gotten up and walked around too much today, he has gotten up to use the bathroom and do a few things in the kitchen. We both took an hour nap/rest this afternoon but only that once.
Our neighbors, Cathy and Steve, made dinner for us and brought it over this evening.  It tasted delicious (to me) and was quite a nice treat.  Because George is on a different eating schedule than me, he has not tried his yet but will have him to that before we go to bed.  It is still difficult to get a lot of calories in him. 
Late this afternoon I noticed that my throat is starting to get scratchy.  That means I need to buckle down and take care of that right away.  Neither one of us can afford for me to be sick right now.  Fortunately, most of the time I can lick being sick quite quickly so I am hopeful that this will pass soon.  Another good night of sleep is required.  Hopefully Mom will cooperate and stay in bed all night so I don’t have to worry about her getting up and down and waking me up (via the alarm in her carpet). 
I also have to remember that I have to get her up and ready for Sarahcare tomorrow.  I am a little rusty with taking care of her!!  Double duty – but only for tomorrow as Rosemary will come on Sunday and stay with her during the day. 

This will be our temporary normal for now – George recovering and resting, occasionally taking care of mom, taking a little time for me now and then.  As time goes on normal will be redefined until we are able to settle into something a little more long term.  

No comments:

Post a Comment