Sunday, October 5, 2014

The “C” Word – Day 57 What a difference a day makes

We finally got to our new room at about 10:30PM last night.  The nurses greeted us warmly and quickly set up what would be my bed (a chair that pulls out in sections into a bed).  It’s not very big but it does allow me to lay flat in order to rest and catch a few z’s.
Though he was supposed to get catheter out at midnight, when the shift nurse came in as 12:15AM it was not in the orders so he got to sleep with it in and not worry about getting up.  I checked with the surgeon this morning and he made sure it was on the orders so at noon today, voila, all gone!!
At 4:30 AM he awoke me “honey, I need to use the bathroom”.  I quickly got the nurse’s aid to the room to help us get there.  I am happy to report that his plumbing does, indeed, work.  Quite well, I might add. 
I was able to lay down and get a little more sleep.  Still feeling tired when we both awoke at about 7:45 but he has been more alert today, all day. 
When he had to go to the bathroom again around 8:00 the nurse brought toiletries in and helped get a chair so he could sit in the bathroom and I could wash him up and wash his hair.  It felt good to him!  Exhausting, but good.
Dr. Bastidas arrived at 8:45 and, after checking him out, lifted the restrictions to his diet so he can eat whatever he likes.  Also removed one of the two remaining IV patch in lines and removed the “calf squeezers” because he wants George to get up and move around more.  Yeah!  Forward progress.
He has been more thirsty today and, though he ordered a ginger ale for breakfast, when the nurse later brought in Coca Cola he preferred that and has been drinking that today.  He had a half a popsicle recently and he might try a bite or two of the mashed potatoes I ordered up for dinner.
This floor is like the Taj Mahal of hospitals.  Meals are not automatically brought in.  You call the Food Department and place your order and get it delivered.  Since George was not hungry this morning, the nurse told me to order whatever I thought would taste good (for me) and maybe the aroma would awaken George’s senses.  So I got scrambled egg and an English Muffin for breakfast.  For dinner there will be roast turkey, zucchini and mashed potatoes.  If George ever does want a regular meal I can order a guest meal.  For now, sharing a plate is quite fine.  And, should he want something from the outside world, we can bring it in.  No one is keeping track of what he eats – they just want to know that he is starting to eat. 
The nurses have been especially kind and helpful on this floor.  If I want coffee, tea, soda, whatever, they will bring it for me.  Such a HUGE difference over a floor where you could not get through the door with a cup of coffee for yourself. 
Today I allowed two visitors to see George, some dear friends that he has known since his late teens.  It was nice to visit and George got to speak to his friend, while I got to visit with his wife.  George has moments where he is somewhat interactive though it is still hard for him to talk very loudly or for very long.  He often falls asleep with his soda in his hand and I have to go put it on the tray.
Rosemary arrived around 2PM so I could go home, take a shower, and get some work clothes for the week.  I stopped in to see Mom (who has been thinking we are in England).  She was happy to see me and hopes I am having a good vacation.  We told her George and I are on a “staycation” and I just popped in to get a few things.  I reassured her that we will be home soon and that I will try to stop in and see her again if I have the chance. 
I am hopeful that I can get to bed at a decent hour and get some sleep so I can at least put in a half day at work tomorrow.  I have a feeling it will be a “do what you can do” sort of week at work and then leave to take a rest.  I think going to work will FEEL like a break – but I might just stop at home for a quick nap to finish the rejuvenation process. 

So today was better by far.  Both of our attitudes have taken a shift.  Perhaps that was the “peak” and it will all be downhill from here (downhill being a good thing).  Slow, steady progress, that is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment