Sunday, December 6, 2015

The “C” Word – 1 Year plus 118 days T minus 2 months

Sometimes I feel as though this cancer thing is a merry-go-round… of course, not really merry. The wheel goes round and round and each time it passes the starting area you wonder when it will stop.  You are having a good time going around but each time you pass the carnival worker you worry that he will end it too soon.  It’s that way when seeing doctors now. Each time you see them you are reminded that cancer is in the room. 
Of course, just like life itself, having cancer is more akin to being on a roller coaster.  The ride goes up and down and higher up and down.  Going up is exciting as you chug chug chug towards the top of the “hill”, you reach the top and for one brief moment you see the whole park and it is exciting… and then, you plunge towards the bottom often screaming for the first few seconds until you reach the calm at the bottom before once again going up the hill.
That describes life - - we are constantly going up and down hills.  Like the roller coaster car we chug chug chug as we try to climb to the top.  We pray that we will get there.  We look around on the way up.  We cough and sputter on the way up but then…. Alas, we get there!  The view from the top of the “hill” is awesome.  We get a glimpse of eternity - - of the things that God has made for use – the sun, the sky, the mountaintop.  That view can be short lived as something happens and plunges us into the valley.  We kick and scream all the way down, sometimes hurtling out of control, not knowing how to make the ride stop.  In that moment did we forget about God?? 
When cancer is in the room, it can feel like the roller coaster is picking up speed.  The hills sometimes feel so tall and insurmountable.  At times the mountain top feelings are all to fleeting as doubt and fear creeps in and send you plummeting towards the bottom once again.  It takes every ounce of faith to make your way to the top. 
There are times I feel as though I have to fight harder to make the normal things happen again.  Recently I had to convince George to make plans with some friends to do something we used to do every year without a second thought.  I know what some of the fears were but probably not all.  I had to justify why we should have this date night.  While George said yes there I times I know he is saying yes to appease me even though his heart is not truly behind it.  In the end we had a great time and he was glad that he went.  
He has been able to create some mountain top moments… Such as face-timing the twins every Sunday night and sending them personal emails every day.  Things such as walking two or three times a week with some buddies of his (a 2-for-1 special as not only does it give him some physical exercise but also gives time to share, vent and talk to his friends).  He cooked Thanksgiving dinner again this year and was able to enjoy the feast that he missed out on last year.  He has done some Christmas shopping and is looking forward to seeing the kids on Christmas day.
Like the merry-go-round, this phase is a repeat of what we went through just 14 months ago.  Fears and doubts cast shadows over George.  While he wants to make the most of his moments, it is sometimes hard to get out of his own head to do so.  He gets frustrated that he gets fatigued so easily.  And while he is looking forward to the holidays, there is a part of him wondering if this will be his last.  That makes me sad to think he goes to “that place” in his mind.  It cannot be easy to be in his head, to struggle every day knowing that cancer is in you.  It is hard for me because I cannot do or say anything in those moments to give him comfort.  I am that gal in the South Pacific show that shouts, “I am a cockeyed optimist” and it is rare for me to go to dark places in my mind.  It is natural for me to be in my “happy zone” as that is how I grew up.  For George, he goes first to the dark places, the worst case scenarios.  Then, if or when things turn out better he feels good.  I am the Yin to George’s Yang. 

It is two months until the next surgery.  With each tick of the clock George feels the weight of this decision, the risks involved.  We both feel that this will give him a good shot at being NED.  The possible results outweigh the risks at this point.  As we come closer to February 5, 2016 we will again reach out to others for prayerful support, for hugs and comfort.  Our prayer warriors come through so faithfully time and again. 
Again, I ask for peace throughout this holiday season.  For time well-spent with loved ones, for love and laughter to fill our houses and our hearts.  I am grateful for those who have stood along-side us for these many months.  I am humbled by the thoughtfulness of neighbors and friends.  I thank God that my faith has carried me through some tough times in my life, that I can feel the presence of God and that I KNOW without a doubt that all will be well. 


                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment