Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The C Word – A New Battle Day 35 - More Milestones

This morning when George awoke he was complaining about the area under the PICC line bandage itching.  It was worse than yesterday.  Before leaving for work I sent a text message to Dr. B asking if we might be able to stop by the office later in the day to get it removed and told him that George was having an allergic reaction to the tape on the covering.  He immediately called and said that I could do it as it would take just a few seconds.  Keeping him on the line, I told George that I would be doing it.  I thought George’s eyes would pop out of his head (he doesn’t trust me to always to things right).  With Dr. B on the line I peeled back the corners of the bandage and slowly pulled the PICC line out and put a small bandage over the opening.  Voila!  All done! 
With the PICC line out the next goal was a full on shower for the first time since July 19th.  That happened this evening and, according to George, it felt really good.  We opted for the shower over our routine evening walk as any extraneous activity zaps George of his energy.
With that, we have just the feeding tube to take care of now.  Hoping that George feels comfortable enough to back the feedings down soon.  He has actually put on 1 ½ pounds the past 2 days so if that trend continues we really need to cut back another 250mL.  I think that will be the last cutback if he can maintain.  I can find the final 500 calories in a good bowl of ice cream!!

                            

No comments:

Post a Comment