Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The C Word – A New Battle Day 21 - Finding our groove

Finding our groove
Today was all about settling into some sort of routine with the IV and G/J tube infusions.  Definitely feeling pretty comfortable with hooking/unhooking, flushing, etc. Hoping the IV ones will be stopped within a day or two.  We see Dr. M tomorrow for an updated assessment.  He is the one that makes that call.  If he says all is going well, the PICC line can come out over the weekend!  If not, it will have to wait a bit longer.
Our first follow up with Dr. Bastidas is on the 23rd.  That means that the drain on his side will stay in for two more weeks.  Unless, of course, the drainage slows down and I would send a note to Dr. B to have it taken it out sooner.  Right now there is still 40-50cc’s draining every day, which is quite a lot.  Not sure where it is all coming from as for a period of time it had all but stopped - - - but has picked up rather than slowed down. 
George’s appetite is getting better.  Or maybe his appetite is not getting better but he is able to tolerate more food.  Ate a generous portion of Rice Krispies and milk for breakfast.  Not too much for lunch or snack during the day (1/2 and English muffin, a couple of baby carrots).  And he ate most of his half Panera sandwich plus the bag of chips that came with it.  That’s pretty good for him!!  I had a harder time infusing his meds right after dinner! 
Overall had a pretty quiet day.  I get a few things done but nothing requiring a lot of concentration right now.  I did go to my Spanish class today – and realize I need to put in more time studying AND practicing... but have no one to practice with. 
Last night my phone went off at midnite for a med call, but I didn’t hear it.  George had not been able to sleep so he did.  I heard him say, “Dawn, there’s an alarm going off!”  I was in such a deep state of sleep I jumped up and went over to the feeding tube pump and said, “It seems to be okay.”  He said, “No, your phone alarm went off.  It’s midnite!”  I did better at hearing the 2AM wake up call for the IV and stayed awake 45 minutes so I could turn it off and disconnect.  (That’s one reason I will be glad to not have the IV infusion in the middle of the night).  The pain and vancomycin are every 6 hours for another 8 days…. And hopefully then we can start sleeping all night, every night!


No comments:

Post a Comment