Thursday, August 18, 2016

The C Word – A New Battle Day 29 - Catching up

Today we were able to spend time with three different friends.
One, Rob, is a miracle man along with George.  He has had several major surgeries over the past few years as well and, as we joke, is upright and doing okay.  He pointed out that one year ago he (Rob) had just undergone major surgery on his brain.  Today, he helps to run the business that he and his wife own.  These two guys enjoy spending time together.  They give each other a lot of encouragement.
This afternoon friends Stan and then Keith came over for visits.  They notice improvement each time they come over.  Buddies supporting each other.  Again, this is all good for George, it lifts his spirits.
Today I phoned to follow up on a hospital bill for George’s neck surgery.  We had received an EOB for $290,000 that they said would not be paid because of one line item in the procedure.  I had phoned the hospital billing department last week to find out what this was all about and they were supposed to get back to me and had not.  When I checked today the gal went through the myriad of correspondence between various hospital reps and insurance reps and informed me that our cost would be $1700!  Phew!  That was certainly a relief for us!  But what a racket the insurance business is!?!?!?
We had thought that a CT scan would be done today.  However, the CT scan needs insurance approval and as of this moment we have not heard from the scheduling department so nothing is likely to happen until early next week.  George had lab work done yesterday for the two doctors to look at to see how things are going. As of now, the plan is to finish up the IV antibiotics tomorrow night (yippee!).  Then we will schedule up having the PICC line removed.  By Tuesday next week we should be down to just the feeding tube line unless he determines that we can be done with that as well.  I look forward to him being free of all these extra tubes and lines because then we can start living a relatively normal life again!  Modified…. But normal!
Tonight I think we are both just tired.  Am thinking that some sleep before the nighttime IV is on the schedule as I don’t think I will make it until 10:30-11:00.  It is amazing how tired one can be when one hasn’t done a whole lot during the day.  Normally I am the kind of person who can keep on going all day long and not be tired until my head hits the pillow.  These last few weeks have left me exhausted earlier in the day.  I did close my eyes for a bit this afternoon – not sleeping, just resting my eyes.  That did help a little bit. 
We look forward to a luncheon with some of George’s former colleagues.  It will be his first meal “out” since before surgery.  It is at the Olive Garden so he will likely do well with a bowl of soup, a tiny bit of salad and a bread stick.  It will be a time for him to catch up on what is going on in their lives and vice versa.  Though some are following my blog postings, sometimes it is good to catch up in person. 


No comments:

Post a Comment