Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The “C” Word - The Next Chapter, Day 26 - The Night Before Surgery

I have to be honest.  I put on a brave face where everyone else is concerned.  Maybe it was the way I was raised, “If you have nothing good to say, don’t say anything at all.”  Maybe it is because the things I have had to deal with over the years are, in the grand scheme of things, not as big as other people’s issues.  That is not to say that it diminishes my life or feelings, but I look at others with much larger problems and wonder what it is that I have to complain about.  It’s a choice, often a conscious choice, for me to decide that “I’ve got this under control”.  The majority of the time, this is a true statement.
But there are times in the dark, stillness of the early morning hours or when I have the opportunity to get some time to myself (which, trust me, is not very often), that all the fears and doubts creep in and I am a puddle of tears.  I don’t like others to see that part of me.  I have become good at hiding it – avoiding it.  Most of the time anyway.  I am a hypocrite when George cries and I tell him it is okay to do so.  It makes him more human.  So why do I hide this part of myself like I do is anyone’s guess.  Perhaps it is because I do not like to admit that I am not always strong.  Perhaps it is because I don’t want anyone to feel sorry for me.  It could be one of those or it could be something I am not even aware of.
I have written how much I have turned to my Christian music for comfort and peace.  There are certain songs that make me weep.  It will happen at church sometimes.  I dab at the tears, embarrassed that not only can I not hold them in but I can’t explain why they occur.  I think it is because the songs make me so humble in the eyes of the Lord, it is through Him that I exist.  I weep because He loves me in all of my sinful, not so pretty ways (and yes, I am telling you that I have faults!)  In those moments I feel so vulnerable – no one likes feeling vulnerable and I fight against that all the time – yet I feel God touching my very soul with his music, with the gift of song and I can be both down on my knees in prayer or lifting my hands in praise. 
Some of the losses in my life have been significant - - a college roommate and grandparents some 30 years ago, my husband Mike, my dad, my mom to name a few.  And I have lived through those times of hurt and pain with as more grace than I ever thought was possible. Though there were some very dark periods of time for me after those, for the most part I was able to look to God and see a reason or a purpose for them being taken from my life.  I have been able to find peace and positive energy in spite of the seemingly unsurmountable losses.  I have an innate sense of God’s love and know that God will see me through no matter what life sends my way. 
I am extremely humbled by all the people around the world who take the time to say a prayer for us, to offer us their love and support.  Many we do not know.  To say I am grateful would be a huge understatement.  Who am I that all these people should care?  God’s grace and mercy overflows from them to me and renders me speechless and I fight back tears of humility and thankfulness.
It is in the songs of Christ that I surrender myself to Him.  It is as though He is reaching into my heart to let me know that I am loved, that WE are loved.   I know that I have absolutely no control over where life is taking me.  It scares me sometimes because there is no crystal ball.  And trust me, there are times I want that crystal ball so badly.
I want to know that George will be whole once he is healed from this surgery.  I don’t have that promise or that guarantee.  I am so afraid of this surgery because he is so much weaker than before the first surgery.  His spirit seems so broken these days when he talks about being tired of being tired… of not know what his purpose is here on earth… of his frustrations that he made a promise if he lived through the first surgery and he has not been able to fulfill that promise yet. He has lost all sense of self.  Feels he falls so short as a husband and provider.  And as hard as I try to lay that all before our Lord I find that my humanness keeps bubbling up and the fears sneak back in.
I remember after Mike died that when I looked back at those last weeks of life that things happened that should have been a sign, but of course we didn’t know it.  We saw people that we hadn’t visited in awhile.   We became foster parents as a pay back of sorts – because Mike wanted to give someone else a chance just as he had been given.  We were doubly blessed because Rachel had a little baby, so Mike got to experience being a grandfather for all of 6 weeks.  We were in a good place spiritually, he was enjoying being part of a church family and was taking a Bible study.  It was all so good, the best it had been in our 20 years of marriage.  And, then… POOF, it was gone. 
And now I find myself looking for signs of that happening again.  Will I know it before it happens?  I find myself asking questions I never thought I would have to ask.  “George, what is your “limit”?  What kinds of conditions are you willing to live in?”  I have to know that because if not now, then at some point this cancer or some other health condition could lead to my having to help make a decision.  I hate having to think of those things.  But even though there are true moments of doubt and despair, inevitably I know that there is “not a spot where God is not” and no matter what happens, no matter what cards are dealt, not only will a survive but I will thrive. 
I feel for George - - these past two years have not been fun for him, nor for me.  These recent weeks have been horrid.  How many times is too many times to go to the restroom (even though many are false alarms, he doesn’t trust his body signals).  Back and forth and back and forth seems to be the bane of his existence.  What kind of life is it to live in fear of being too far from a bathroom?  Up until December he had gotten things to a relatively good place and things were pretty manageable.  Will they ever be that way again?  Will he find some peace or happiness when all is said and done?  Or will things be worse?  No crystal ball to give us those answers.  We have to wait and see what is in store for us.
This is my final posting just before surgery day.  George will not see this for many weeks.  I pray that when he does read this that he is in a better place than he is today.  I pray he is recovering well from surgery.  I pray that he experience being NED (no evidence of disease) for a period of time.  I continue to lift him up to the Lord – because I am not in control of his earthly life.  And I vow to continue to be strong for him, to stand beside him, to tend to whatever his needs are in the short and long term.  “In sickness and in health, for good or for bad.”  Before George heads in to surgery I will hold his hand and reassure him that I love him and I will wait for him and I will be there for him.  I will reassure him that all will be well and not let him see any doubt or fear.  I will believe that for him because in this moment he finds it difficult to believe. And when I am weak, I know that I have so many faithful prayer warriors lifting me up and lifting him up, they will help carry us through whatever lies ahead. That is what LOVE is all about.



No comments:

Post a Comment